Wednesday, June 2, 2010

Don't Drink The Water!!

I think every single person hears this when going out of the country into a developing nation...it is like the number one rule in any savvy traveler's guide! One may think "Anyone dumb enough to drink the water after they have been told explicitly not to deserves to be sick!" To that I reply, "Well, what if the person drank the water on accident??"

This past Sunday was "El Dia de Las Madres" in the Dominican, so once more, to all you mother's in my life...Happy Mother's Day!!!! (again!) Needless to say, Dominicans are big on friends, family, and food! So, we had a bunch of people over to our house to have a big lunch after church. One big difference between here and home is that on Mother's Day at home, mom's are not supposed to lift a finger...they are to be served and taken care of! Here, every single one of the mom's was in the kitchen working on something for the day's meal. That meant that someone other than my mama made the drinks for lunch. I'm guessing that this woman had never gotten the memo that in our house we take all water and boil it before we put it in a pitcher in the fridge to drink it. This woman decided that she would make things easier by skipping the middle man and putting the water straight from the sink into the pitchers of tea and water! That leads me to my current dilemma...I thought it tasted sorta strange on Sunday and on Monday and Tuesday when I was drinking the same leftover tea and water, I had a nagging suspicion that something was amiss...today, I am paying for it!!

Moral of the story: When the collective "they" tell you not to drink the water...DON'T DO IT!! 

No comments:

Post a Comment