Tuesday, June 1, 2010

And we walk!!

Here in the DR, a family is very lucky to have one car. My family is one of those lucky families!! As a result, we often go and pick up my tia, cousins, family friends, and anyone else who needs a ride whenever we go to school, church, the grocery store...any outing really! If you can't tell, a car (known as a guagua here) is quite a precious commodity! Unfortunately, last week the guagua started giving my papa problems...He would be ready for work, dressed in his suit and tie, and the car would just not start. Instead of getting upset or cursing the car for not working, he would simply go to a neighbor's house with a huge smile on his face and ask for a jump...Eventually, this plan failed him because on Sunday the car refused to function any longer. Mind you, my papa is the pastor of the church...instead of kicking at the car or complaining about being late, he calmly called a taxi and on our way to church found (or rather made) the opportunity to talk to the cab driver about Jesus. My papa is honestly one of the most joyful and patient people I have ever met and he always gives all the glory to Jesus for his demeanor. Whenever I ask him if he's okay about this whole car situation, he always says "All of my problems are in God's hands. Why would I be upset?" (in Spanish, of course ;)  And whenever I praise him for being so joyful he says, "It is our job to be joyful at all times!" My family and life in general here are sure teaching me a lot!
 
Because of this car situation, I have taken quite an affinity to walking...EVERYWHERE!! My friend here and I needed to go to a certain store to get her phone fixed and to get calling cards, so we walked...5 MILES round trip!! So, needless to say, I better have toned legs by the end of this trip! Honestly though, I am finding such an appreciation for the things I take for granted at home all the  time...like having a car so I can go wherever I want whenever I want (you think through "little outings" a bit more when you know you'll be walking the whole way!)

Luckily, my papa took the guagua to the mechanic today, so I think we'll have a working car tomorrow!

No comments:

Post a Comment