Monday, July 5, 2010

Things that make you go hmmm...

So, here in the DR, there are things almost daily that perplex and puzzle me...and generally just make me laugh out loud :) I will share some with you:

-Sometimes it is a little disconcerting when you walk into a nice restraunt and they have a sign on the door specifying that you cannot in fact bring your firearm in with you...

-More disconcerting when entering the mall and not only is there a sign saying you can't bring in your firearm, but also that you can't bring your machete in with you either...

-Even more disconcerting when the officer on the street with his large gun (which he is allowed to have because he is neither in the nice restaurant or the mall) feels that it is okay to whistle and me and try to get my attention...I am sorry sir, but you have a very large gun which I feel you should be paying more attention to than me!

-The sign in the corner store that says you are not allowed to drink alcoholic beverages in the store before you have purchased them...as I stand behind two men in line enjoying their Presidente cervesas :)

- The concho driver giving me 25 pesos so I can fully extend my arm to try and reach across to another concho driver to make change while we sit at a stoplight (good thing I have monkey arms!)

...as of now I can remember nothing else, though I promise these perplexing moments occur mutiple times daily!!

On another note... MY PARENTS ARE HERE!!! I was a very happy girl yesterday when I got to go to meet my parents at their hotel, get a drink with them and share how life is here, have a wonderful cuddle time with my mommy, then take them (in a concho! Mom did not like the experience so much...she made me promise we'll take a taxi from now on while they're here :) ) to mi casa where they got to meet my incredible familia and have dinner all together! Seriously one of my best nights here...having my two sets of parents who I love so incredibly much finally in the same room together getting to meet the people I talk so much about was so....I don't even know how to describe it...but it was wonderful!

Love to you all :)

2 comments:

  1. Hola Bri: Por fin tengo tiempo de volver a leer tu blog. Como me hicistes reir con tus comentarios de las cosas raras e interesantes que estas experimentando todos los dias. Que gusto me da que estes disfrutando tu viaje. Toda tu familia Mexicana aqui en Glendora te manda saludos! Te queremos y extranamos mucho! con amor, Oneida

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Lady O!!

    Muchas gracias! Estoy muy emociada que estas disfrutando mis historias. No puedo esperar para ver mi familia Mexicana en Glendora! Yo necesito hablar con mi mama Mexicana mucho cuando yo regreso porque no quiero olvidar mi nuevo idioma!!

    Te quiero mucho,

    Tu hija Dominicana :)

    ReplyDelete