Sunday, May 16, 2010

Hola de La Republica Dominicana!!

So I am finally here...and I finally figured out the internet (which was quite a feat!!) I live with a pastor/ professor at the university, his sweet wife, and his daughter who is turning 21 in two weeks! It's weird because I am actually a part of their family...I eat with them, go everywhere they go and do everything they do. I am now going to have the experience of being a PK because my family is at church...A LOT!! It's crazy to sit though a church service and understand about half of what they are saying. Also, I am getting used to not having comforts I am used to...no air conditioning in about the mid eighties with about 60% humidity, food I'm not quite used to, and (my favorite) taking a shower with a bucket of cold water!! Also, last night in the bathroom a cockroach that was longer than my thumb (and I have long thumbs!) decided it wanted to be my friend when I went to get ready for bed I am definitely being challenged but I am so very blessed by mi familia here. They are loving ad kind and generous and they really want me to be a part of things! So, as much as I don't want to have to think so hard for every conversation or really work to spit out a few sentences, involved is what I will be!! Please be praying that I let God live through me instead of my flesh...I want to become more like Jesus through this trip, and I think God may have the same idea in mind :) I will try to keep you all as updated as possible as I make my way through this new life of mine!! Love and miss you all!!

4 comments:

  1. So awesome to hear about your early experience and how blessed you are by your new family. I have a question though...Are you really taking a bathing out of a bucket? Wow-now that is surprising because I didn't think the Dominicans were that antiquated. I'll be praying for you sweet Bri! Love ya lots - Vettie ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah Vettie, I take a shower with a bucket! Only when the water stops running, which has been every time I've gone to take a shower!! Love you and thank you for your prayers :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. bri!!! this is so exciting. Sorry I know im way delayed but im just reading it all now because I was in Ireland and London. But now im following you :) I wish you the best of luck and many adventures. love u! Praying for u :)
    -Julie

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love you too Julie!! ANd I cannot wait to hear about your own adventures :) Thank you for following, and especially for your prayers...they are appreciated more than you know!

    Love you <3

    ReplyDelete