Saturday, August 7, 2010

Adios Republica Dominicana...

So, today is my last day in the Dominican Republic...and I have NO idea how I feel!! For the past few weeks, I will be honest...I have been saying "Get me out of this country!!" It has been literally the hottest and most humid week since we have been here and the men seem to be in rare form as my hair becomes blonder with every passing hour I spend in the sun...Therefore, the declarations of "RUBIA, quiero mi visa!!" seem to be more and more frequent, and thus, more and more annoying!
All week the days have seemed to move so slowly...until yesterday. Last night, my mama and hermana made me a beautiful going away dinner (during which, the lights went out...again! My goodbye wouldn't have been complete without this ;) ) and after, my family and I sat on the front porch and just spent time together...We also exchanged gifts, at the end of which, we were all crying messes! Later, I  laid down in my now empty room (not a fun sight!) and attempted to sleep, but I just tossed and turned...that was until mi hermana, Aibid, snuck in in the middle of the night and crawled into bed next to me, and then I seemed to sleep absolutely perfectly :)
I now sit in my kitchen as mi mama prepares my final lunch, and I cannot help but feel this lump rise in my throat....It is the strangest feeling because one part of my heart is so stinkin excited to come home!!!! While the other part is breaking because I am leaving my new family that I have come to love so very much... But this is in no way the end...this is the beginning of relationships I will have and cherish for the rest of my life!

This summer I think I learned what I was capable of...or rather what God is capable of when I just let Him do His work...I have learned to cherish and suck in every single moment, and be so grateful for each and every one of them...I have learned that "just being" is okay, and so very necessary...This summer has changed my life...I have grown and been stretched a whole lot more than I think I wanted to be, but isn't that how God works? He never gives us what we expect, but He gives us absolutely everything we need! This summer I became part of an incredible family and entered into a completely different culture...This summer I became Dominican :)

No comments:

Post a Comment